Tuesday 7 September 2021

Omega-3 Supplements- Old Pollyanna Thoughts

A lot of people are talking about Omega-3 Fatty Acids. 

They are essential, and something we need to pay attention to as we age. WebMD Healthy Aging says "Omega-3s are nutrients you get from food (or supplements) that help build and maintain a healthy body. They’re key to the structure of every cell wall you have." 

This has been on my radar for quite some time, and increasing Omega-3 was the number one tip to slow down the ageing process in an article from Shape I had saved from 2018. I think I'll post about each of the other 5 tips, now that I'm starting with the first. This one keeps coming up in my life lately.

My brother recommended taking a good Omega-3 supplement to help manage my fuzzy brain. I think it's more of a stress/COVID think for me. But, it's actually possible that it could help.

Dexter's vet recommended giving him an Omega-3 supplement to help with his stiff muscles, so now we have a bottle of these things in our fridge and Harry will also pop one occasionally. Who doesn't have stiff muscles occasionally? Inflammation and bone and joint health are things we do need to pay attention to as we age. 

I am not a fan of supplements. I avoid taking pills whenever possible. And, the WebMD article emphasizes the fact that people should consult a doctor before taking an Omega-3 supplement, as there are risks. There are lots of reasons not to take supplements. I like food, so I prefer to eat well. I have started buying more fresh and frozen salmon, and canned sardines and herring. I love the saucy herring from Germany because it reminds me of parcels from my Oma. I've been making maple glazed salmon once a week since Pat (YRCC Soprano) gave me that big bottle of maple syrup. Lots of things I eat are good sources: eggs, meat, nuts, spinach, brussels spouts, etc. I look at labels and I'm happy to see that other foods that I eat are providing me with some of this miracle thing. I will supplement my diet with foods, especially whole foods that I like. 

Yummy source of Omega-3













Although Wikipedia says that more research needs to be done, current research is inconclusive, to prove the many ways which Omega-3 supplements can help us, science suggests lots of possibilities. I think the supplement part is problematic, but the chemistry and biology points to lots of benefits from these essential fatty acids.

Here in a Healthline article, there are these 17:

1. Omega-3s Can Fight Depression and Anxiety

2. Omega-3s Can Improve Eye Health

3. Omega-3s Can Promote Brain Health During Pregnancy and Early Life

4. Omega-3s Can Improve Risk Factors for Heart Disease

5. Omega-3s Can Reduce Symptoms of ADHD in Children

6. Omega-3s Can Reduce Symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome

7. Omega-3s Can Fight Inflammation

8. Omega-3s Can Fight Autoimmune Diseases

9. Omega-3s Can Improve Mental Disorders

10. Omega-3s Can Fight Age-Related Mental Decline and Alzheimer’s Disease

11. Omega-3s May Help Prevent Cancer

12. Omega-3s Can Reduce Asthma in Children

13. Omega-3s Can Reduce Fat in Your Liver

14. Omega-3s May Improve Bone and Joint Health

15. Omega-3s Can Alleviate Menstrual Pain

16. Omega-3 Fatty Acids May Improve Sleep

17. Omega-3 Fats Are Good For Your Skin

 

Here's another article with a big list and this nice picture of foods to eat. Supplement your diet with these: 

Supplement your diet with whole foods

3 comments:

  1. I found that once I started drinking 3 - 4 litres of water per day my brain fog disappeared & my energy increased dramatically. Also worth a try! I do take Omega-3 supplements because I'm not great at getting it from food despite a relatively healthy diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also including more fish in my diet. I avoid farmed fish because it doesn't have nearly as many omega 3's as wild salmon. Also I am against the salmon farms here on the west coast for several reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! We're on the same page. 3 to 4 litres of water? Wow. I'll try to drink more, and keep track, and I'm also trying to exercise most days which should help. Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete