Thursday 6 June 2013

Ageing: looking ahead at looking back

With ageing, I'm just starting to feel part of the conversation.

I'm starting to have difficulty reading the little letters and my songs are starting to play on the oldies stations. My friends tell me I look great and comment on my relative lack of lines. We're reminiscing more than we used to. Looking back takes up almost as much time as looking at where are kids are and what they're doing next. We're remembering how we managed without the internet and texting. We're proud to wear clothes that we've had for over 20 years.

Something to look forward to: as you get older, you start remembering less bad stuff and more good. It's part of the Pollyanna Principle. The reality of your past gets better. You know we'll talk about "the Good Old Days".

I'm not ready for a senior's discount yet, but I'm starting to feel a shift in my place along the continuum of age. It's not a big deal. I've got a sister who's over a decade older than I am, so I'm always relatively young. All of those big milestones are much less shocking when she's gone through a bigger one and survived with grace.

I'm only turning 50 next year. I'm still young, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment