Thursday 6 June 2013

Proud Pollyanna

I embrace my inner Pollyanna. 
Here's what Wikipedia says about Pollyanna:
Pollyanna is a best-selling 1913 novel by Eleanor H. Porter that is now considered a classic of children's literature, with the title character's name becoming a popular term for someone with the same optimistic outlook.
The novel's success brought the "Pollyanna principle" (along with the adjective "Pollyannaish" and the noun "Pollyannaism") into the language to describe someone who seems always to be able to find something to be "glad" about no matter what circumstances arise. It is sometimes used pejoratively, referring to someone whose optimism is excessive to the point of naïveté or refusing to accept the facts of an unfortunate situation. This pejorative use can be heard in the introduction of the 1930 George and Ira Gershwin song But Not For Me: "I never want to hear from any cheerful pollyannas/who tell me fate supplies a mate/that's all bananas."
I don't hold it against people if they think that optimism is naive or delusional, but I wish they'd lighten up.  People who see the negative are seen as thinking realistically, but that's not a full picture of reality. If I don't dwell on the dark side, it doesn't mean I don't see it. I think I make the better choice by fostering the positive. 
For some reason, sarcasm is considered witty, but it's not funny or smart to ridicule people. Luckily, there is a trend to promote happiness and a focus on bullying that should open people's eyes to the thoughtless- but definitely not harmless- negativity that is spread by people in the name of humour. I've been told countless times that I have "no sense of humour". Funny, I laugh and smile and enjoy life more than those who tell me that. 
I was once called a Pollyanna, and while not said with derision, it was obviously not a compliment. I don't mind if people think I'm too positive. It's much better to annoy people with optimism than to annoy people with sarcasm or gloom. I choose to be cheery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment