Tuesday 26 October 2021

Positive Thinking when So Much is Negative

When so much around us is negative, how do we manage to stay positive?

Some of us are born positive. Positive thinking comes easy to us. 
Others need some help. 

I'm one of those annoyingly positive people, but I have days (or lately, months, years) when I find myself in a dark place and I feel like staying there, getting comfortable there in the discomfort. 

When I need help getting back to the light, I have lots of tools in my toolbox. I'm sharing my list of healthy strategies for coping with negativity, which I'm calling my lighten-up toolbox.

My toolbox should look different from yours, partly because I'm naturally inclined to positivity, but also because we all have our preferences. Lots of people drink tea to feel better or knit, for example, which I don't choose. If you have "things" like knitting or colouring gear that you can put in a basket by your favourite chair, that would be a great lighten-up toolbox. You can throw in some index cards with keywords on them to remind yourself of things to do that will help. An internet search of "coping toolbox" will give you lots of ideas. 


Writing this list out here on my blog has helped me to remember the things that work for me. Maybe I should add making lists to the list. 

My Lighten-Up Toolbox
  • Smiles (I put on a fake smile, then rest my face in that smile, breathe, ahhh)
  • Water (Sometimes I'm cranky because I'm thirsty and just a glass of water does the trick.)
  • Hugs (I hug anyone, everyone, especially my family and my dog-  COVID has been so hard!)
  • Mindful Breathing (I'm really good at breathing, because I sing and I have played wind instruments.)
  • Reframing Thoughts (Like Pollyanna, I can usually find the good side, the silver lining on anything.)
  • Redirecting or Leaving Noxious Conversations or Situations (I naturally avoid conflict, and it's usually a healthy thing. Avoid news, angry people, uncomfortable topics.)
  • Walks (Walking the dog makes me feel good, and when I'm outside, I notice how beautiful trees are, and what a nice neighbourhood I live in.)
  • Guided Meditation (I use the Calm app, love Tamara Levitt.)
  • Singing (I sing along to Taylor Swift, or Elton John, a playlist made by Victoria, Christmas carols, 80s tunes. Sometimes singing leads to dancing)
  • Dancing (I put on the Apple Music Dance Workout Playlist, close the curtains, start with a jog, and do some aerobics moves, but also silly things that just feel good. Sometimes dancing leads to singing) 
  • Pizza (I hesitate to put food on this list because it's a big, messy thing, but some foods are just happier than others. Pizza is one of many for me. I'm sure there are healthier ones.) 
  • Other bits and pieces (Just like a real toolbox, this one has lots of random stuff rattling around in it. Sometimes it's a surprise what I find in here when I'm rifling through the regular things.)




1 comment:

  1. I should have at least mentioned my Not Healthy Tools. Here's a sampling: food (I kind of mentioned it, but- angry food is the worst, worse than sad food), alcohol, sleeping too much, shutting down (closing doors, stopping talking), sarcasm. I was feeling very positive and didn't want to include the dark stuff, but I think that's not fair, not balanced.

    ReplyDelete