Tuesday 30 July 2013

Your Mind: use it or lose it, and take good care of it

I think we all feel like we're losing our minds sometimes. We misplace keys, walk into rooms forgetting why we're there, and forget names. We worry about ending up with some kind of dementia when we're older. 

Don't worry. Do something about it!

I'm quoting the Greater Good website again. Today, I read an article called, 

How to Keep Your Brain Sharp


The author recommends a book, The SharpBrains Guide to Brain Fitness. 

You're walking and working on your level of physical fitness. Good! That helps your brain too.  Research has found that: 

"the longer distance people walked, the larger their brain volume and the lower the risk of developing dementia or cognitive impairment. These studies and others lead the authors to recommend moderate exercise, three times a week, for improved brain function."

Yay! I've just started a morning exercise regimen, walking or swimming every morning. 

In fact, lots of things that we already do to help us keep fit and happy are things that help the brain keep sharp and fit too. 

Brain Power!

"Some of the diseases of aging, like cognitive decline or Alzheimer’s, can be postponed or improved with simple interventions, like moderate exercise, diet changes, and increasing one’s cognitive challenges."

I started taking piano lessons a few years ago, and constantly remind myself that this is one way that I'm using my mind instead of losing it. It's much harder for me than it is for my 13-year-old daughter, and sometimes I get discouraged. But, I try to stay motivated. 

The dietary recommendations include: "nuts, fruits, vegetables, fish, and olive oil, with moderate alcohol consumption." So, I'm going to have to increase the amount of alcohol I regularly drink. Yay! 

Another thing that helps is social interactions. Maintaining your friendships and being in a club, or a choir, help to keep the brain in good condition, improving your working memory. Yes! 

So, here's another reminder that it's all connected. We need to eat well, exercise regularly, and sing in a choir to keep happy and healthy as we age, taking care of our bodies, our minds and our souls. 

I'm working on it!







No comments:

Post a Comment